The Vajra or Thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra, King of Devas, Just as a mind is the king of all the senses. Vajrasana is used by Muslims and Zen Buddhists as a position for prayers and meditation. It is believed that In this posture, a person’s spine is in perfect position, which is the “Axis of the Universe”. You know there is a universe only by your experience and the Centre of your life is your spine. By sitting in a vajrasana means you are open to receive all the energies of this universe and you are ready to meditate at your higher self.
Vajra is also the major Nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body. Control of Vajra Nadi leads to sublimation and control on Sexual energy.
When to practice this asana:
This Vajrasana (diamond pose) is also called Adamantine Pose. Usually, breathing exercises like Pranayama, Kapalabhati, and Anulom Vilom are done sitting in this position, and it is said that in doing so, the body becomes as strong as a diamond and powerful as Indra thunder.
Practice this asana for an exteneded period of time if performed for spiritual aim.
How to do Vajrasana:
- Kneel on the floor with knees close together.
- Bring the big toes together and separate the heels.
- Lower the buttocks on the inside surface of the feet with the heels touching the side hips.
- Place the hands on the knee palms down or by posing any hasta mudra.
- Try to keep your back and head straight. Do not tense.
- Relax! Do not excess the arch of the spine.
- Close your eyes and relax your mind.
- Concentrate on your breath and fix the attention on the Eyebrow center to Ajna Chakra.
- Try to Sit for five minutes at least. If any discomfort occurs take few minutes in between to loosen up.
- Vajrasana alters the blood flow in the pelvic region muscles and helps them in strengthening.
- It is preventive against Hernia and Piles.
- It is extremely good for the digestive system.
- In women, It alleviates Menstrual disorder.
- Best asana for people suffering from Sciatica.
- It calms the mind and helps in focusing or Concentrating.
If there is a pain in the ankle or thighs, Do not worry its normal and with regular practice, it will go away. Sit with legs stretched and shake your legs before and after practicing Vajrasana.
Hare Krishna _/\_